Sunday 11 September 2011

Blog Two; Landscaping Practical Considerations 12.9. 2011.

Today I have decided exactly where I am going to landscape over the next seven weeks. I own three properties that all require lots of work, but the property where we live full time is the greatest challenge.  We built the house over two years ago on a lifestyle block of regenerated native bush and old man gorse, broom blackberry and muehlenbeckia vine(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muehlenbeckia)
I will clear the gorse and broom from a strip of contentious land on our boundary (more about this latter). Techniques for clearing these weeds have now been honed to techniques that make the greatest impact over the shortest amount of time. This always involves bringing to the job the correct tools that are well maintained.
The practice considerations have been pre-considered and the appropriate tools for the job have been assembled.  Gorse is horrible to work with. I consider that a hat and hooded Jacket to be essential for my comfort, as old man gorse gets in your hair, eyes, clothes and footwear.  Gloves are a necessity as the splinters become septic and problematic for weeks. I take my chainsaw (bought over 15 years ago and suited to my strength and stature), my pruning saw (needed for smaller work and for releasing the chainsaw when it gets stuck, as happened today) and the secateurs for smaller work and cutting muehlenbeckia vine. Finally I have a small drop bottle full of an appropriate stump killer.
I am trialling a new product at the moment as per photo, but usually I would use Tordon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tordon) for gorse and broom.
Forgetting any one item can slow or stop the occupation. Had I forgotten the pruning saw today I wouldn’t have been able to release the chainsaw. Without the secateurs I would be in a complete tangle as I wouldn’t be able to clear the prunings from the worksite, or easily move around as I frequently get stuck without room to manoeuvre.
Over the course of the next blogs I will go into greater detail about the activity in terms of exploring the ethics; ambiance; affordances and the ergonomics of this activity.

No comments:

Post a Comment